Friday, April 24, 2009

My Little Mathematician

I knew Eli could count to ten, but when he went all the way to fourteen, my mouth dropped open. I said, "Did you just count to fourteen?!"

Then, of course, I had to go through the, "I'm so proud of you!" "Luke, did you teach Eli how to count to fourteen?" (Luke claimed it, even though he doesn't usually get it quite right when he goes past twelve. Letters he knows and loves, numbers have not yet caught his interest.)

Then Eli looked at me and said, "Fiveteen." And this morning, still a little shocked and wondering if I had imagined it all, I said, "Eli, twenty-one..." To which he immediately replied, "Chenty-twoooooo."

If you've ever tried to teach counting, you know that this not quite two year old totally gets the concept of numbers and counting. I'm still in shock and so proud of my little mathematician!

2 comments:

Jacki Duke said...

that is incredible!...i'm sure he gets it honestly!

Anonymous said...

seriously, this is amazing.