Thursday, February 7, 2008

Being Found

I'm not sure if it's just my toddler or all toddlers that have fixations. They vary from week to week, often from day to day or even from minute to minute. There was a period of time that Luke loved ice. He would beg for ice several times a day and would sit contentedly in his high chair eating ice for an extended period of time (I'm not complaining, I assure you.) That fixation was so intense that I asked my pediatrician if he needed to be tested for iron deficiency. She assured me it was just his most current obsession and that it would pass. (And probably added me to her list of hypochondriac parents.) Recently, Luke's greatest love affair has been with covers, or "cubbers", as he calls them. He loves to have "cubbers" in his bed. He squeals with delight at the prospect of getting under the blankets on our bed. He must have "Cubbers, Mama!" after ever shower (said with his face down on the carpet and his naked hiney sticking up in the air). My personal favorite is in the mornings when he sits in my lap to drink his milk and get under the covers with me.

The other part of this phase is "hi-dig" (hiding). The most thrilling part of being under the blanket is that Luke can't be seen and is convinced that we have no idea where he is. We, of course, play the game and wander around calling, "LUKE! Where is Luke? Daddy, have you seen Luke? Where could he possibly be?" And then we "accidentally" stumble over him and discover his brilliant hiding place. The kid just loves to be found. Even more than he loves to hide. He thrills at the thought that we are searching for him.

God is really good at this little game of hide and seek as well. I'm finding that, like Luke, He hides Himself in plain view where we will inevitably stumble over Him. Sometimes it even seems as if we hear a little giggle from under the covers to give away what we suddenly realize as a most obvious hiding place. Why does He hide? I think He too thrills at the thought that we are searching for Him.

2 comments:

KateVonGlahn said...

I love it and I think it is so true. We love to be sought after don't we?

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness i love that beautiful illustration between your sweet boy loving to be found and God. I really needed to hear (or I guess read) this at this exact moment. how cool!!!