Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Faith

I have found that while the boys are out of school and we're not running around so much, I'm much more relaxed in the mornings.  I've enjoyed sitting in what feels like the "holy hush" of the early morning, looking at the Christmas tree with the lights burning (minus the strand that is out) and thinking about my favorite Christmas songs "O Holy Night" and "Silent Night".  I can't help but celebrate the sacrifice God made of sending His Son and the sacrifice that Jesus made in coming as a man - a baby even.

I'm grateful for Mary's sacrifice.  She gave up everything.  Everything!  In her day, she risked her life by saying "Yes" to God.  She gave up her dreams, the dream basically every girl has from the time they are little of finding their love, marrying, having children...in that order.  She gave up her reputation.  Then and for the rest of her life she was known as the woman who said "God told her" that she would bear the Messiah.  And when we really consider the story, her claims were never truly validated because the Jewish people thought Jesus would come as a king, not a servant.  She gave up the dream every mother has for her son of a happy, peaceful, long, honored life.  She sacrificed so much. 

I've been thinking a lot about the men and women of Hebrews 11.  Abraham went, not even knowing where he was going. "Sarah received strength to conceive...when she was past the age". Moses "refused to be called the son of Pharoah's daughter, choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin". Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jepthah, David, Samuel...

"All these, having obtained a good testimony through faith, did not receive the promise."

When I think about these people, what they sacrificed, what they went through to obey, all because they believed God to be faithful...When I look at Mary, how she was never truly vindicated in her life time, never saw the promise of her son reining as King...When I look at my life, the places where I'm not seeing God "come through" on what He's promised...

"These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth." (Hebrews 11:13)

If it never happens, if I never see what I've worked for and sacrificed for come to be, I will trust.  Because He who promised is faithful.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

That is such a good message and hard lesson to trust in. I am in the thick of this right now, and all I can do is TRUST. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Merry Christmas!
Love,
Lauren

Jacki Duke said...

I could feel the Holy Spirit just reading this post. PREACH. What a good word. Thanks for sharing.