Saturday, July 18, 2009

What A Week!

Aunt Ann emailed me to chastise me about not keeping up with my blog. I have to confess that I haven't been overly motivated to stay on top of it lately. After this week, I think an update is in order.

Luke went to VBS this week at a friend's church. Every day at drop off time he was a little clingy, but he was always a chatter box and bouncing off the walls when I picked him up. I was so proud of him, and I think it was a great experience for all of us. On Tuesday he said he didn't want to go. When I told him that I was going to the YMCA because I REALLY needed some exercise and he could choose to go there with me or to VBS. He looked at me and said, "How 'bout I go get your exercise bideo and you can do your exercises here? Does that sound like a plan?" After I told him that wouldn't work he decided that VBS was more fun than the Y and said, "I didn't want to go to VBS for five seconds, but now I changed my mind." Where do they come up with this stuff?

Eli decided that he likes being any only child, at least for short periods of time. After we dropped Luke off the first day and were walking back to the car Eli said, "Where's Wukey?" I told him he was staying and wouldn't be riding in the car. He double checked, "Wukey not ride in the car?" Nooo. So he said, "I'na sit in Wukey's seat!" That kid knows how to take advantage of a situation. Later in the morning he looked at me and said, "I happy!" By Friday, though, he was looking for Luke and ready for him to be home.

I decided to try to work on potty training while it was just me and Eli. He did very well. We're still working on #2, but he stays dry all day. He just has a poop "accident" every day. Accident is in quotes because I'm pretty sure it's not an accident at all. But he's still very young and we're just getting started, so I'm giving him grace for a little while. I was reminded, though, how insane it is to go out without lots of supplies. The first "accident" was in McDonald's in the middle of lunch. When I had left the diaper bag at home. You can tell this is kid number two. I didn't leave the house at all the entire first week of potty training Luke. Let's just say the McDonald's staff would be horrified to know what transpired in their ladies room that day.

Tuesday and Wednesday nights were very late for all of us. After Kris got home from work we loaded up and went van shopping (Tuesday to look and Wednesday to buy). We are the proud owners of a "gently used" Honda Odyssey. I'll put a picture up later, but let's just say I love it already. Luke cried Thursday morning when he realized we had gotten rid of our "small car", but I think he's over it now and loves the van almost as much as I do.

Thursday and Friday I dropped Luke off at VBS and ran errands all morning with Eli until it was time to pick Luke up. He was over it by the end of the morning but perfect until the very end (when he laid on the ground and burst into tears from exhaustion. At that point I considered joining him.). It was a very productive and exhausting week.

Luke decided it wasn't exciting enough and decided to cap the week off with a stomach bug. He is watching preaching on TV right now. He feels too bad to care what's on.

Aunt Ann, I hope this catches you up. I'll try to do better in the future.

1 comment:

Hilliard Family said...

Your mom gently reminded me that she liked to read ours when I saw her! I haven't been very good lately, either, although I am trying to catch up now. Hope you love your van. I do!